Conference presentations can be found in the links below.
Day 1: Tuesday, October 11, 2016
- FIELD TOUR: Get Out and Kick the Tires (8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
- Messersmith Manufacturing Plant
- Verso Corporation CHP Boiler
- Pinecrest Medical Care Facility
- North Central Area School
- Vendor Reception (6:00 p.m.)
Day 2: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 – Vendor Expo Open (7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
- MORNING PLENARY: Breaking Through Market Barriers (8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
- Opening Remarks – Bill Cook, Michigan State University
- Welcome to Michigan – Dave Nyberg, Northern Michigan Office of Governor Snyder
- Introductions- Tony “T.J.” Morice, President, Heating the Midwest Incorporated
- Keynote – Regional impacts of advanced wood heat in New England – Maura Adams, Northern Forest Center
- What does the public hear when we say “wood energy?” – Sarah Mittlefehldt, Northern Michigan University
- What reactions have Michigan communities had to wood energy? – Stephen Gasteyer, Michigan State University
- What motivates consumers to buy advanced wood heating systems? – Jenni Cathcart, Vermont Energy Investment Corp.
- How can we create and expand markets for advanced wood heating? – Matt Birbeck, Michigan State University
- AFTERNOON BREAKOUT SESSION: In the Clouds With Decision Makers and Developers (12:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Panel: Way beyond your grandfather’s wood stove. Bill Cook, Michigan State University (moderator)
What exactly is “advanced wood heat?” Listen to the stories successful users tell.
- Advanced wood heat demystified – Mark Knaebe, USDA Forest Products Laboratory
- Success story #1 – Health Care – Dave Vandermissen, Pinecrest Medical Care Facility
- Success story #2 – Rural school – Darrell Oman, North Dickinson County Schools
- Success story #3 – Complex – Dr. Andrew Burton, Ford Forestry Center, Michigan Technological University
- Panel: Going beyond the backyard wood pile. – Scott Sanford – UW-Madison (moderator) Innovations in obtaining secure, reliable, sustainable, and affordable wood supplies.
- Securing reliable, sustainable, affordable fuel supplies (understanding the upstream portion of the wood supply chain) – Wayne Stanley, Domtar Paper Company
- Innovations in the wood supply chain (creative opportunities in the downstream portion of the wood supply chain) – Brett Hogarth, Ecostrat, Inc.
- Connecting sellers with buyers – Dave Neumann, Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Panel: Finding the value beyond the BTU. – Brian Brashaw, USDA Forest Service (moderator) Advanced wood energy has other values to the user, the community, the region, and the world.
- Healthy forests, industries, and communities (15 min) – Brian Brashaw, USDA Forest Service
- Combined Heat & Power (10 min) – Tom Wilson, Wilson Engineering
- Biomass Cooling (10 min) – Michael Sparby, Agricultural Utilization Research Institute
- Clear Skies, Blue Water, and Green Carbon – Kathy Halvorsen, Michigan Technological University
- Panel: Incentivizing and financing the future. – Nan Larson, Agricultural Utilization Research Institute (co-moderator) and Marcus Grubbs, Agricultural Utilization Research Institute (co-moderator) Creating the policy and finance climate needed for success.
- Expo (5:00 – 6:00 PM)
DUE TO LACK OF REGISTRATIONS, THE TECHNICAL WORKSHOP HAS BEEN CANCELLED. HOWEVER, HTM IS OFFERING A ‘FREE’ ALTERNATIVE SESSION TO CONFERENCE ATTENDEES. WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO ATTEND.
Evening Session: The Ins and Outs of Commercial Biomass Boilers and Handling Systems
5:45 – 6:30 PM: Commercial Pellet Systems and Pellet Storage (Grant Gagner, Northwest Manufacturing, Inc/WoodMaster)
6:30 – 7:15 PM: Commercial Chip Systems and Fuel Handling (Gerry Guard, Messersmith Manufacturing, Inc.)
Day 3: Thursday, October 13, 2016- Vendor Expo Open (7:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
MORNING PLENARY: Defeating the Biomass Blues (8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
- How far have we already come, and where do we go next? Realizing a sustainable advanced biomass thermal industry. – Charlie Niebling, Innovative Natural Resource Solutions, LLC
- Tell us what keeps you up at night? And, what gives you hope for the future?
- National Updates Panel – What is happening in congress, agencies, and national associations?
- State Updates Panel – what is happening in the Midwestern states?
- Michigan – Bill Cook (with Stephen Gasteyer), Michigan State University
- Wisconsin –Scott Sanford, University of Wisconsin (with Tim Baye, University of Wisconsin-Extension)
- Minnesota – Mark Lindquist, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Closing Remarks – Tony “T.J.” Morice, President, Heating the Midwest Incorporated
Download the Conference Flyer